Glencoe Marathon Result! 9th lady back!! 4:41:27 :D

Mini Map of the route
Route profile! Eek!




Today was the race! I was ridiculously nervous this morning but luckily the morning was so cold we were all shivering and keen to start... I met up with Kristan and Del at the campsite as well so it was a lifesaver to see a familiar face or two! The group hug was a definite plus for me, sharing body warmth and trying our best not to all be really nervous!! Then it turned out that Rachel was a medic for the day so that was great too... as much as I hoped that I wouldn't see her all day in the nicest possible way! Each of the waves was set off to bagpipes, and I set off in the 4th wave i think, couldn't work out if the shivering was cold or nerves when he started piping us off and the gun went!! EEK!
Mum and Dad were in the first lay-by just at the end of the Claigchaig road to wave me off which was nice :) The first section from the campsite (start) to the bit where you left the A82 for the devils staircase was awesome, lovely trail and path and off the road, a gorgeous morning for a run. We were all losing layers by the time we got to the top of the road!
The bog fest!! Photo: Dave Martin

Agggh, will the bog ever end?!! Photo: Dave Martin
Oh look, vertical bog!! Photo: Dave Martin
Then I spotted Mum and Dad, and Dave this time, and it all turned to a bog-fest, which I went in knee deep a few times and nearly lost a shoe much to the amusement of the guy behind me! Then we hit the path up the Devil's staircase itself which was also lovely, and then the summit and the path down into Kinlochleven was nice all the way and the scenery up there was amazing. By this point id managed to get down a gel and a bit of fruit cake and drank quite a lot of water as I knew that Dave, Mum and Dad would be there and sure enough, I got a reload on gels and water and off I went :)
Coming into Kinlochleven, around half way Photo: Dave Martin
The final climb of any size was out of Kinlochleven and it was pretty gruelling but it was a bit runnable so I ran what I could. The whole rest of the way was long, undulating land rover track. No major hills to speak of but it was tiring and really hot up there with very little wind! I was glad of the sun hat and sunnies by then. Also, it turns out that the port and cheese man is real! There really is a guy serving port and cheese and crackers to runners at about 31km!! I didn't stop but how awesome! The final 10k, I thought was never going to end. Continued undulating, one final hill out of a forest, then a long descent with flat bits on a fire track until I finally heard the noise from the finish line in the field, where Mum was there as I crossed the line in pieces, and Dave snapped a few as I was finishing. I couldn't speak for a few minutes properly! Also turned out that Dave's Mum was there with the dugs as well which was awesome :) so we all stood around in the sunshine, watching people finish until Kristan finished as well and then we all split home as no sign of Del at that point.
Found me some dugs! Photo: Dave Martin

Family Photie Photo: Dave Martin

Nailed it! Photo: Dave Martin
Kristans finish for 5h55m!! Photo: Dave Martin


Turns out I did rather well, I was... 
4th Female Senior out of 60, 
9th female finisher across all categories out of 151, 
and I finished 86th out of 625 with a time of 4hours, 41minutes and 27 seconds ... 
WELL HAPPY WITH THAT! YAS! Especially considering that when I signed up, i put myself down for a time to finish of approximately 6 hours!! Results are here.
My hugest thanks go to loads of folks this last few months. Not least to Dave, my Mum and Dad, and to Elizabeth for all being there on the day, to Kristan and Del for propping me up this morning! I also dont think that I would have been anywhere near as prepared for it if it wasnt for Sarah at Run Snowdonia giving me an initial kick up the butt, and opening up the whole world of Scottish Hill Racing to me which I have no doubt has had a great impact on my life and training - and the people I met along the way including Graham, who has been so supportive even though I just met him really! Mr George Lyons, the man who has been keeping me honest during training and not letting me give up, and answering my never ending stream of shite questions! Of course, the Achilles Heel Run Club and the ringleader himself Stef, whose forces combined with George and MRF running have kept me optimistic and on the plan for the last few months. Last but not least, everyone who has donated t my fundraising page as well :) .... Much love to you all :) you all made it a fantastic day today! Thank you :)

Mum and Dad are here for a few days now, so I think that I will refer us to going to the pub and spend a bit of leisure time together for once :)

Comments

Popular Posts