Curved Ridge on Buachaille Etive Mor

Today was a cracking day out on the hill. Short and sweet, we did a solo session on Curved Ridge on the Buachaille.
I was a little nervous on the way there as we went to meet up with Jim, a newly found climbing buddy on UKC who got in touch as his usual buddy for Sunday climbing had to work. We did spend a few minutes in the Altnafaedh layby/carpark, but we found him eventually!

Eerie. Photo:Dave Martin Me at the end of a steep section! Photo:Dave Martin


I find route finding on the Buachaille really hard going. We went into Agag's groove a bit of time ago now but I still couldn't find it again if you asked me to. Even looking at it from the A82 on the approach, staring at Rannoch Wall I feel a bit blank as I cant seem to pinpoint things!
Today, we walked in the same way from Altnafaedh, and then past the waterslide, and then a turn upwards towards the right saw us in Crowberry basin, at the star of curved ridge. Jim was sure enough where we were going, I thought I had my bearings but I was wrong apparently and he ended up leading me to it! Embarassing! We started the climb and it was really nice. I find the Buachaille hella intimidating to look at when you are really amongst it. It's one thing being up a munro, on top of it, but you feel as though you are stuck 'in' it somehow when you are on a proper climb there. We also had a great, quite thin (vis was good all the way), atmospheric cloud level of about 700m today which was eerie! The ridge was lovely. There was one or two small sections where I was feeling a bit challenged but great holds all the way meant it was confidence inspiring :)

Looking down at Rannoch Mor Photo:Dave Martin Up at the ridge Photo:Dave Martin
Coire descent path Photo:Dave Martin Nice warm latte for lunch :)

We finished the route with a summit of the Buachaille, and then down the coire on the usual descent route. Almost immediately upon leaving the summit, we met loads of people on their way up. We set off at something like 930/945, and we summited at 1130! Pretty fast! Jim and I spent most of the way down, chatting fell running, and Dave true to form walked ahead...maybe we bored him to death. It wasn't exactly winter like we always hope for in December, but a cracking day, and up and down in about 3h20mins! Coffee at the Ski Centre on the way home? Don't mind if I do :)

At the ski centre cafe contemplating the day. View from the ski centre road of the Buachaille


...and we even got back to Glasgow to complete Marcothon #4 and even shower before 5pm!

Comments

Popular Posts